Tuesday, July 15, 2008

First Project

At one of the sales JoAnn's was having I picked up some patterns. It never occured to me to pick something easy as a first project since in my mind I'm a Sewnista Extraordinaire.

My first project is Butterick B5181 since it says easy on it. I thought was a simple summer dress that I could get done in a few weeks and be wearing by the end of summer. Ambitious don't you think for someone whose never touched a machine before. My original choice was the second one but I didn't have enough fabric so I decided to make the first one.


Here is the fabric that my sew idol Omega gave me. It's a really nice black and white print. Once the dress is done it should hit me right below the knees.


Since this is my first time actually sewing we started off with some practice fabric. So far I've managed to make the bodice.

I need to practice my gathering before I sew the skirt to the bodice. To be honest it's not as neat as it should be and I've been really sloppy with it since it's only a practice. I keep telling myself that I'll do better with the real thing. I'm actually proud that it actually looks like something recognizable! The seam ripper has become my best friend. I won't tell you how many times I had to take it apart and put it back together again. Like they say practice makes perfect...I guess...


No comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey