Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My First Kinda Finished Project

I am so excited I managed to sew a skirt! I needed to take a break from the dress I was sewing. It was driving me crazy. At the bookstore I picked up

It's a great beginners book to me. The language is simple and it has pictures. The best part to me is that it came with 10 patterns and 25 designs. The first thing I chose to do was the Naughty Secretary Skirt, a pencil skirt. It's a 2 piece pattern and what could be simpler than that.

Front:
Back:
Excuse the black zipper. I was originally going to do this with black fabric and realized that didn't have any so I used an old sheet that didn't fit my bed.

The entire process was easy and very fun for me. Thanks to the bodice I'm making for my dress I was able to sew my darts better and make my markings correctly. Best of all I was able to learn how to sew a zipper which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I did cheat a with the hem and the waistband - I used a fusible web. I couldn't figure out the instructions for the waistband so I fused it down. I also didn't really finish the slit in the back. It needs to stitched across and I can't figure out how to do that. Once I get some help with that it will be totally done.

When I buy skirts I always have issues with the waist being to big. Same issue here. The skirt fits well on my hips and thighs but the waist is way to big. This will probably be one of staple go to patterns but I'll adjust it so it fits me perfectly. I'm excited at the thought of having a skirt that doesn't turn into a hula hoop on me!

My next project from the book is the Flouncy Tank Top.


This didn't come with a pattern but gave instruction on how to make one. I made it out of some old tissue paper I had.

5 comments:

LBIC said...

So cute! I love that top. so cute. Congrats on the skirt!

SuzieC said...

Thanks lbic!

Anonymous said...

Look at that skirt! I think that's as far as I ever got sewing. Way too much patience. I can't wait to see the dress.

Anonymous said...

Both are Cute Cute!

Nice Blog!

SuzieC said...

Thanks Jen! I can't wait to see what the dress looks like too...lol

Thanks b-more bap!

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey